The experience evolves...

Friday, July 08, 2005

Back to blogging....

Well, it's been a long time since I posted anything to this blog!!

In fact I last used it in the Fall of 2004, as an example of a resource I would incorporate into an online learning class, which was a project for a class I took in my Masters program. I deleted all of that and this will now serve as my personal blog. Who knows what it will contain, only the future will tell I suppose.

I just recently returned from the beach...I stayed in a beautiful old B & B, the Pecan Tree Inn, in Beaufort, NC. The photo gives an idea of the Inn. Beaufort is a small coastal town with many beautiful historical houses, many dating back to the 1700's.








One of the most historic graveyards in the area is the "Old Burying Ground". Enshrouded in the shade created by a thicket of majestic hundred-year-old live oak trees, the Old Burying Ground is a fascinating place. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the cemetery was deeded to the town in 1731 by Nathaniel Taylor. The weathered tombstones chronicle the heritage of Beaufort and the surrounding coast with graves of soldiers from the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War, star-crossed lovers, and famous privateers. Historians will relish finding Captain Otway Burns' grave, complete with the cannon from his privateer, in the Old Burying Ground. Nearby rests a salt works, which was established by order of the Provincial Congress in 1776 for Revolutionary War use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home